Thursday 4 September 2014

Modu Sheriff Denies Sponsoring Boko Haram

Former Governor of Borno State, Ali Modu Sheriff, has said he has nothing to do with the dreaded Boko Haram sect and associating him with them was a ploy by his detractors to tarnish his image.
Sheriff was reacting to and financiers of the insurgents.

Former Governor Ali Modu Sheriff
Former Governor Ali Modu Sheriff
The former governor, who expressed shock over the report, described it as senseless and baseless.
Speaking at a press conference in Abuja, Modu Sheriff threatened to sue Stephen Davies, the Australian negotiator for his allegations while expressing his readiness to face any panel in the world to clear his name.
He said if the Australian negotiator was truly a professional mediator or negotiator, the right thing for him to do would have been to give his report to the security agencies of Nigeria.

Sheriff said: “I was the first victim of Boko Haram in Borno State. In their first attack, they killed my brother, the same father and mother with me. That was when they fought with the military in Borno.
“The first casualty was me. Then, they killed my cousin. They killed my candidate for governorship, they killed my party chairman. Two of them were direct relations of mine. Why did they do that? Because I made a law, prohibiting Boko Haram in the domain of Borno State.”

“It is instructive to point out that I have been one of the greatest victims of Borno. I was a target of Boko Haram during my time because I refused to abdicate my responsibility”.

“I have no association with any terrorists anywhere.  “I have never met the group. I cannot be a sponsor of a group I have not met before. I don’t have foot soldiers, as they alleged.”
“The recent purported interview granted by Australian negotiator, Stephen Davies, could not avail the federal government of the information concerning the alleged sponsors of Boko Haram… but he sneaked out of the country to make false claims.”

“My name has been mentioned for political reasons over the attacks of Boko Haram. I have been accused unfairly in connection with Boko Haram since I left office,” he said.
“For the records, let me state categorically that I do not share the same ideology with Boko Haram,” By my nature, I am opposed to the philosophy of Boko Haram.”


“Those linking me with the sect are either ignorant or completely out for mischief. The sect has become captive of political forces and used for settling political scores.”

“For the records, the late leader of Boko Haram, Mohammed Yusuf, once named me, Umaru Yar’Adua and some other leaders as targets. He boasted he would deal with all of us”.
“I banned Boko Haram. I was the one who made a law that outlawed the group,” he says.
“I will sue the Australian. I have instructed my lawyers to sue the faceless Australian.”
“The fact that one of my commissioners, Buji Koi was named as member of the group does not make me a member. It doesn’t make sense. I leave the rest for Nigerians to judge whether it is a crime to do good to all men.”

Meanwhile Sheriff who said anybody associating him with the dreaded sect must be insane stated Boko Haram activities started in Borno State before he became the governor of the state while adding that his activities while he was governor showed that he was against the sect.

On August 28, .

Ali Modu Sheriff born in 1956 in Ngala Town, Ngala Local Government Area, Borno State was elected governor of Borno Sate in April 2003 on the platform of the All Nigeria People’s Party (ANPP). He was the first governor in Borno state to win the seat two consecutive times.

No comments:

Post a Comment