Wednesday 22 October 2014

Peter Obi Replies Bianca On His Defection To PDP

Former governor of Anambra State, Peter Obi has explained why he left the All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA), following a recent comment by Bianca Ojukwu who said she was disappointed with his defection to the ruling Peoples’ Democratic Party (PDP).


Bianca, the widow of the late Biafran leader, Dim Chukwuemeka Odumegwu-Ojukwu had some day back described Obi’s defection to PDP as betrayal of the late Biafran leader, who, according to her had such great hope in Obi that he would always stand by APGA.

In his response, the former governor said he kept his promise to Ojukwu by finishing as an APGA governor and enthroning another APGA government, The Nation reports.
He said: “Despite all overtures for me to leave APGA when I was the governor, I did not give in, but served out my term on APGA’s platform and handed over to an APGA governor.”

Obi pointed out that Mrs. Ojukwu was not a frivolous person and therefore her comment must be taken seriously.

According to him, he had to leave APGA because he could not continue to be in a place which had derailed from the original course, adding that time would reveal “whether the APGA of today is still propagating the late leader’s core principles”.
He said despite joining the PDP, he is still committed to the cause and principles of the late Biafran leader.

Of all those who have spoken, and who continue to speak on the issue of my leaving APGA, only Bianca spoke with sincerity…I want to have it on record that Bianca was right when she reported my exchange with Ikemba when he called and asked whether I would leave APGA, after the incident in Abia State.

“I wish to reiterate that I am still loyal to our great leader, in terms of what serves the interests of our people and the country. Everyone knows that APGA is not what it used to be.

“Like my leader and political father, Dim Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu, who was bitterly criticised for ignoring the Zik-led Nigerian Peoples Party (NPP) to join the National Party of Nigeria (NPN) where he felt the interests of Ndigbo and the nation would be better served, I have moved out of a political party, which, in my own opinion, had derailed. I have moved on to a place my contributions towards proper representation of our people would have the level of impact that would make Ikemba rejoice in his grave,” the ex-governor said.

He stated that his reply to Bianca would be the last on his defection to PDP so that he can channel his time and energy with well-meaning Igbo for the re-election of President Goodluck Jonathan as well as the place of Ndigbo in the nation’s politics.


Recall that following the motion by PDP caucus leaders from the South East zone who visited him the day before to lure him into the PDP.

No comments:

Post a Comment