Wednesday 10 December 2014

Abiola's Wife: Jonathan Is Keeping My Nomination Form

One of the presidential aspirants of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, Prof. Akasoba Duke Abiola, has alleged that President Goodluck Jonathan is in possession of her presidential nomination form.
The widow of the late Moshood Kashimawo Olawale Abiola made the statement on Tuesday while talking to journalists ahead of the PDP national convention that begins today.
She stated that the President is using her presidential nomination form which pre-qualified him for the convention.
Duke
Prof. Akasoba Duke Abiola
It would be recalled that Abiola, who is one of the PDP presidential aspirants, had insisted that she would not abide by the decision of the party to endorse Jonathan as its sole candidates.

In a bid to realise her ambition, the only female presidential aspirants among those aspiring to rule the country has gone to court to challenge the decision of the leadership of the ruling party.
According to Thisday newspaper report online, Prof. Abiola explained that despite paying her N2million nomination form and also being the first aspirant to pay for the presidential form, the party has denied her the form.


She described the action of the party against her and millions of voters as discriminatory and a coup d’etat against democracy.

“It is an abrogation of the constitution, a flagrant violation of fundamental human rights and contrary to all international protocols and conventions to which Nigeria is a signatory including the United Nations Charter. Succinctly put, this is a clear case of political violence against women.
“This has become a global conversation as the endorsement of one aspirant cannot metamorphose into the trampling on the fundamental right.

“In the interest of integrity, transparency and accountability, we submit that form 001 should have been given to me, since I was the first to pay and the first to arrive the party secretariat for the form,” she said.

Prof. Abiola disclosed that she has been excluded from the party convention, even as a presidential aspirant.
President Goodluck Jonathan speaking at his declaration on Tuesday
President Goodluck Jonathan speaking at his declaration for re-election.

Accusing Jonathan of being in possession of her presidential form, she said: “It is my submission that the party should give me my form.
“Someone got my nomination form and that person is in Aso Rock and he should give me my form.”
She added that “if there is any ratification at the convention today for any person that person will be standing in for me.

“The president is intimidating us, let Nigeria tell that person, the president to give me my nomination form.

“I am not scared of them and nobody will settle me, I am not for settling. Jonathan should give me my form and if he does not, he is depriving me of my right. If there is any ratification at the convention, Jonathan is poaching my delegates.”

It would be recalled that on September 14, 2014, the leadership of the All Progressives Congress (APC) had revealed that

A decision that reportedly did not go down well with the supporters of the party chieftain like former military Head of State, Major-General Muhammadu Buhari (rtd).

The party had earlier announced that it would conduct its primary elections in   since they do not believe in zoning system.

No comments:

Post a Comment